Hey Gardners!!! Today we are going to see the most underrated plant and that’s called Dieffenbachia plant or Dum cane plant. we are seeing today how to grow this plant and how to care? Also, Some tips on behalf of Gardendust. So let’s get started.
About Dieffenbachia plant / Dum cane Plant
This evergreen tropical flowering plant belongs to the Araceae family. Despite knowing the fact it’s poisonous it is one the most popular ornamental indoor plant.
There are so many varieties of Dieffenbachia and its most popular plant found in every house and office as an ornamental plant.
- Tropic Snow
- Tropic Marianne
- Tropical Tiki
- Dieffenbachia Maculata
This tropical plant grows in indirect or bright sunlight and requires less water to grow. Their wide leaves have a green and white color combination that enhance the beauty of any space. About the height of this plant is it can grow up to 5-6 ft but when it grows long the long stem doesn’t look so good.
As it is a flowering plant it blooms when it got a perfect condition, but most of the plant owners remove the buds because the flowers are not so impressive and spoil the beauty of this plant.
As it mentioned its poisonous plant Chewing or eaten this leaves may cause Swelling of tongue or throat, Temporary Inability to speak, plant Sap causes Skin irritation. So always clean your hand whenever you planting, repotting or propagate this plant.
Growing and Caring guidelines for Dieffenbachia Plant / Dum cane plant
Dieffenbachia grows easily in moist soil but doesn’t make the soil soggy. Soil should well drainage.
This plant can grow well in indirect or bright sunlight. Don’t put it in direct sunlight as their leaves are the best part of the plant, it will start yellowing and dying.
Normal fertilizer once in a month but don’t over-fertilize it will start losing leaves.
This plant likes high humidity but it does well in normal or low humidity.
Depending on variety, size and season water it. In general water it once in a week or twice a week. Overwatering will cause root rot. While watering check the top soils if it is dry then only water it. In the winter season, it requires too little water.
Warm temperature requires even in Normal room temperature it does well.
Dum cane can report any time. If you see it become so bushy you can report it in a big container or replace it in another container to grow. Repotting time check the leaves and dead stem or roots and clear all this then report.
Propagation of Dieffenbachia Plant
- Propagation is so easy for this plant. By cutting nod stem or divide new root stem both are easy.
- By cutting nod stem just plant it in the pot. In one month it starts growing and rooting with new leaves.
- You can plant this stem horizontally or longitude. As per my experience with this plant, it grows fast in the water. New roots and leaves grew fast as a comparison in soil.
- In soil, the longitude one grows fast as comparison horizontally placed. Another way to grow cut the nod stem and put it in normal water it will start new rooting and leaves.
- Overwatering causes of yellowing leaves and starts dropping.
- Brown leaves also a cause of overwatering.
- Sometimes due to overwatering and low-temperature stem become soft and discolored.
- In those conditions cut the affected areas if partial affected.
- In low humidity, some insects affected the plants like aphids, spider mites, scales, mealybugs.
- Water droplets are a common thing you found in Dieffenbachia or Dum cane plant. This is a transpiration process.
Also read- The Insulin Plant- Magic cure in Diabetes